Sunday, December 30, 2007

I don't just preach the tacky fab lifestyle - I live it.


this photo from the Orlando Sentinel


If Austin Powers ever takes an Orlando vacation, he'll certainly agree the Red Fox Lounge is radioactive, baby. Take my word for it – The Fox is the grooviest place in Central Florida and the most fun you can have in a motel bar.

I went again to see Mark & Lorna last night. They've been performing at the Red Fox Lounge every Tuesday through Saturday for the past 16 years; they’ve been married for thirty-five. The lounge is a small room in the Best Western Mount Vernon on 17-92 in Winter Park. Lorna sings and Mark plays a mean synthesizer. The audience is encouraged to join in (but let’s face it, when Mark belts out “Sweet Caroline,” who needs an invitation?)

The crowd is random and on any given night you might find yourself next to college students or veterans of the Korean War. Sometimes the place is packed, and other times you might be the only one there. The vibe is reminiscent of a Vegas Lounge act. The drink of choice is the grasshopper – dirt cheap. There’s a whole lotta taxidermy going on. One thing's for sure - the scene is always cookin’ at the Red Fox and it'll get you so randy that you and your date will want to go out to your hot rod to play a little backseat bingo.

If you ask enough people about Mark and Lorna, the subject of the Culp’s is bound to come up. That’s because Orlando’s musical duo has many striking similarities to the couple from the Saturday Night Live skit starring Will Ferrell and Ana Gasteyer.

Online rumors pinpoint the Culp’s as the creation of Paula Pell, an SNL writer and former Orlando resident who may have seen Mark and Lorna’s act while living here as an actress.

Whether or not they are the inspiration for a legendary TV comedy skit is irrelevant - what matters is that Mark and Lorna have ultra-hip friends like Wayne Newton and Reuben Kincaid from the Partridge Family.

3 comments:

isol8d said...

I've always said Orlando was socially inbred... I saw a link to your blog on Boingboing, browsed through, and I see the older brother of an old friend....

word.

Joe said...

I too came through the Boing Boing link. In going back through your archives I was counting down to how long it was going to be before I saw mention of Mark and Laura. Some of my best friends live in Orlando and on my first vist (I'm from PA/NJ) to see them it was insisted that we go see the act that they had play their wedding party. I have now seen Mark and Laura 2 or 3 times and have to be sure to stop for at least one drink when ever I am down there.

Joe said...

oops sorry meant Lorna I mixed two different conversations I was having. :)