Monday, December 3, 2007

In Orlando we aren't fake, we are "authentically faux"

It's not uncommon to start a sentence here with: "The facade is authentic, reminiscent of..."

and then you can fill in the blank with things like, "a 17th century fortress," or "a chateaux in the French countryside," or maybe even "an 8th century Japanese pagoda".

You get the picture.


"Authentically faux" is perfectly acceptable - nobody here raises an eyebrow and says, "Huh? I don't get it...how can it be both?" I love it, because in New York my hair would be considered "fake blonde," but in Orlando, "its hue is effectively fictitious."

I always thought the concept was strictly reserved for the theme parks, but now, it looks like it's spreading to the malls, as well. I went with a friend to Festival Bay this weekend to do some Christmas shopping. I had never been there before, but was pleasantly surprised to see all the unique stores.

There's Joe's House of Jacuzzis, Earrings 'R Us, and Chez Rupert...Hooray! One minor detail though - you can't actually go inside many of them because they aren't real stores. They are, however, real canvas sheets "reminiscent of the world class shopping you'd find on Rodeo Drive. "
Fortunately, Festival Bay's got a sense of humor about the whole thing - they even included a shop called, appropriately, "Tumbleweeds."

1 comment:

Matt Boom said...

I think they're cool looking. I first saw them years ago when the mall first opened. I mistakenly thought they'd be temporary as stores starting filling the spaces. Tumbleweeds is a great name to that mall.

ps. I love this blog. Great job on a great topic.