Wednesday, February 20, 2008

All George, All Day

When I first heard GeorgeFest was coming to Central Florida, I was really hoping it was a tribute to George Clooney. Even George Castanza would be kind of cool. Or George Carlin...Boy George...George Lopez. Supertan George Hamilton would be worth driving to Eustis to see. And even though I'm ashamed to admit it, I'd probably head in that direction if it was Wake Me Up Before You Go-Go's George Michael, with or without his Wham! bandmate.


The only George's I can't muster up any excitement for are George Steinbrenner, George Washington and Curious George.

Just my luck - the festival is for George Washington. I feel bad sounding disappointed, and I realize it's unpatriotic to speak that way about an event that's been going on since 1902 when people would travel by mule to be part of the action, but it's just that I really LOVE George Clooney.

Anyway, about George Fest - the highlight of the day is the Citrus Squeeze. Each 5 member team (fully costumed, of course) creates "the wackiest contraptions to squeeze the most juice from an orange in 10 minutes." Prizes are awarded for Best Costume, Crowd Favorite and Most Creative Juicing.

They've also got a cherry pie eating contest, bed race, build your own cardboard boat contest, and a celebrity hot dog eating contest. You see, most people don't realize George Washington was a huge fan of hot dogs...and celebrities. He never missed a Jessica Tandy movie.

One other thing that seems kind of interesting at George Fest - according to the website, they've got a President's Ball. I don't know whose is on exhibit, but for curiosity's sake, I'd probably peek at any - except maybe Taft's. Hamilton pic from all posters.com

No comments: