Wednesday, March 26, 2008

It's Raining Men


My friend Brad emailed me a couple days ago to inform me he has a new boyfriend. "He's definitely your kind of gay, Deanne," he says, "28 years old....dog groomer...loves green tea..." blah, blah, boring, blah...

For the record, that is NOT AT ALL "my kind of gay." 

"My kind of gay" dresses in drag and sings Broadway show tunes at the Parliament House, which is why I'm so excited about this entry for the upcoming Florida Film Festival. It's called "Pageant," - a documentary about the Miss Gay America Beauty Pageant and all its competitors, including "Pork Chop" and the Orlando-based "Chantal Reshae."

As if he were reading my mind, Orlando Sentinel film critic Roger Moore says, "Don't go expecting to see swishing, finger-snapping queen stereotypes." Darn! 

Thankfully, even though it's described as "wholesome" in its message, it does still include wigs, waxing and incredibly fabulous gowns.

Hooray!

photo: Miss Parliament House 2001

No comments: