Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Not-So Private Parts: An Interview with Liz Book

I got an email the other day from someone at the Daytona Beach News-Journal who wanted to know why I haven't mentioned Liz Book on my site.  If you live in Central Florida, you know Liz as the woman who has battled the city of Daytona Beach for years (and years and years) over her right to be “top-free.”  In fact, when the stories first circulated, she was a Mom.  Now, she's a grandmother...and she's still doing her thing.  

Liz has gone head-to-head with Bill O’Reilly and has been seen in just about every newspaper and TV screen in the country.  Quite honestly, the legality of the whole thing bores me, but I really wanted to know what made Liz tick, so I interviewed her.  We talked about everything from her pre-protest breast care regimen to her thoughts on Sam, the guy from the Appliance Direct commercials.

So, go grab a bottle of Mike’s Hard Lemonade and some pork rinds, and then sit back and enjoy a few moments in the mind of Liz Book…

TackyFab: For starters, Liz, I applaud you for your confidence. I require very particular lighting when I undress – preferably pitch dark, sometimes candlelight, but never direct sunlight or a fluorescent–type environment. You, however, have the chutzpah to pull off your top in just about any lighting. To what do you attribute your high self-esteem? Did your parents praise you lots as a kid?

Liz:  Well, I once had a leading role with the Rochester Community Players, when I was 15. I was the "Queen of the Elves" in J. R. Tolkens', The Hobbit. I believe I did get a little praise for that.

TackyFab:  Congrats!  Onward…I read in your blog that you walked topless down Daytona Beach for seven miles without sunscreen last week. Seriously, girl, what’s with that? It’s the equivalent of Picasso sticking his arm into a lawmower to clear a jam. I really expected to hear you took much better care of your breasts, since they are the most famous ta-ta’s in Central Florida.

Liz:  I hadn't set out to take a seven mile walk. It was a beautiful day and it just happened. Call it spontaneity.  Honestly, I would have feared putting suntan lotion on my breasts publicly, as the militia (Daytona Beach Police) might construe that as lewd and lascivious behavior. Besides, I think they look pretty in pink.

TackyFab:  So, do you have a regular maintenance routine of any kind? Lotions…crèmes? Do you slather them in Ponds Night Time Formula and wrap yourself in Saran?

Liz: Have you actually ever met someone who does do that stuff? Saran Wrap? Hmmmm…no, there is no breast maintenance routine that I use. Occasionally, I will look down at my breasts and sadly say, ‘Come on girls, you've got to perk up. I'm tired of seeing you all droopy like this.’ It works, I tell you. They always seem to perk right up when I tell them we are going out for protest or a walk in the sun.

TackyFab: Would you ever consider breast implants or a lift?

Liz:  I fought the idea for years because it was not a message I wanted to send out to women. But now I am thinking, "Geez, if only I could afford to bump these girls up!"  Yes, I think that I would.

TackyFab:  Liz, be honest - there’s got to be somebody you wouldn’t feel comfortable flashing... your kid’s teacher, your grandmother’s best friend...

Liz:  It’s not flashing. I’m way beyond flashing. I do not refer to freeing my breasts as "flashing" or "showing them." I once told Bill O'Reilly that if he even said the word "show" in the context of speaking about my protests, I would just walk off his show. I meant it! "Flashing" and "showing" are two words that connotate breast exposure for entertainment. They tick me off!

TackyFab: Oh, dang, sorry.  Do over. Forget the thing about the flashing. Let’s fill in the blank, here: "I would never 'free my breasts' if I saw ______________ nearby."

Liz: A Bible school bus.

TackyFab:  Good call. 

To be continued tomorrow...

photo courtesy of Central Florida News 13


No comments: