Wednesday, April 2, 2008

For the love of Benji, PLEASE MAKE IT STOP!

Let me preface this by telling you how much I love the Orlando Sentinel.  I love the look of it, the feel of it, and the taste of it.  I use it as wrapping paper.  I love the font.  I love the people who work there - they are like my second family.  I love the fact that they've squashed every rival publication to secure their place as the only daily newspaper in town.  (Right?)  I love everything about them except for one thing:  


For the love of all that is holy, PLEASE STOP WITH THE STORIES ABOUT TINY DANCER THE DOG.

I really thought we had seen the last of Tiny D a few weeks ago when he missed out on being named Guinness World Record holder for smallest dog.  

But no, we're not done yet.  Because four Tiny Dancer stories, three video montages, four photo galleries and three blog postings really were not enough.  Somebody decided we needed more, and they saw an opening.  This one took some work.

Because apparently there is another dog (not a chihuahua)...in another city (not Orlando) in another state (not Florida) in another country (not the United States).  The dog is also not small (he's big)...and since he set a World's Record for being big, then really, that can only mean one thing. 

The story must run on the home page of the Sentinel website under the headline:  "Great Dane Sets World Record - See how he compares to Tiny Dancer."

At the risk of sounding jaded, I just can't get excited about an enormous Great Dane or a tiny Chihuahua.  What gives?  Great Danes are always big and chihuahuas are always small, so what's the big deal if one happens to be a little bigger or a little smaller than most of the breed?  Show me a Great Dane that weighs as much as a Chihuahua, and then I'm impressed.   

I beg you, look at Tiny's face.  Doesn't he look a wee bit tired of the media spotlight? Somebody step in.  SAVE TINY BEFORE IT'S TOO LATE.

photo courtesy of the Orlando Sentinel.  Click here for the other 1, 283, 483, 221 photos.  

1 comment:

startlingmoniker said...

Hard to believe that the sad, wizened thing in your picture is a dog, actually. Why would anyone want a dog like that?